Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Dear Friend Minerva Keawe

Many years ago, my husband John and I traveled to the outer Hawaiian Islands (off Oahu) to produce jewelry shows. The outer islands, as they are known, were then not built up as they are today and there were few jewelers on the outer islands that offered Hawaiian Heirloom Jewelry and those that did asked very high prices. As a Hawaiian jewelry manufacturer we could offer people much lower prices directly from the manufacturer.

We traveled to all the outer islands, Kauai, Maui, the big island of Hawaii, Lanai and Molokai several times yearly. I always enjoyed traveling to Molokai because we would hold our jewelry show in Kaunakakai where my friend Renee Ainoa owned a general store. We would display our Hawaiian jewelry samples in Renee’s store and service her customers. In those days Hawaii still had sugar and pineapple plantations and when the whistle would blow indicating it was time for lunch, the women plantation workers would come to Renee’s store to see the new Hawaiian jewelry samples that we had brought with us.

One of her customers was an elderly Hawaiian lady named Minerva Keawe. Minerva would come to buy from Renee’s general store and occasionally buy a piece of Hawaiian jewelry as a gift for her children and grandchildren. Afterwards she would sit with Renee and me and talk about the Hawaii that she remembered. On some of her visits she would prepare lunch and bring it for us all to enjoy. I always enjoyed visiting with Minerva and she and I became quite close. On one visit to Molokai, Minerva told me that she was going to give me a Hawaiian name when we visited Molokai again.

On our next visit Minerva came to our jewelry show and while we were speaking she presented me with a piece of paper which on it she had written the Hawaiian name that she gave me. The name was “Kou u’i mino aka” which Minerva explained means the “beauty of your smile”. It was such a nice and wonderful gesture on her part and I cried with joy.

Later, my husband knowing how much the Hawaiian name that Minerva gave me meant to me, made me a Hawaiian bracelet with “Kou u’i mino aka” engraved on it for Christmas. I’ve treasured it ever since.

Minerva passed away shortly after giving me my Hawaiian name. I think of her often, missing our visits with each other and each time I wear my Hawaiian bracelet bearing the Hawaiian name “Kou u’i mino aka” I always think of our visits to Molokai and my dear friend Minerva Keawe.


Mahalo and aloha from Hawaii,


Colette Aoki

Designs 'N Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment